Sunday, October 24, 2010

Halloween Festivities

We were invited to a Halloween Party last night! We all had a great time. I must say that our hostess did a great job with the decorations and creepy food. There was a brain made of shrimp and I don't even know what else, I can't believe I didn't take a photo, but it was so cool. Dave, Sophie, Max and I weren't sure what we should dress up as. Well, Sophie was determined to be Princess Sleeping Beauty (that's what she calls Aurora), but since that is her costume for Halloween and I didn't want her messing up her Halloween costume before the holiday I decided that I needed to find costumes for all of us. Plus I really wanted a cohesive plan for our costumes so we would blend/match.
Then there was finding a costume for Dave and I. I don't know if I am becoming more prudish as I get older or if the Halloween costumes are becoming trashier, but I could not find anything appropriate for a family of four. Or that I was willing to wear to a costume party with my kids. Maybe I am becoming a prude.
Anyways, I decided Dave and I would be Zookeepers, Sophie re-wore her monkey costume from last year and Max is a LION! How cute is he? I wanted to squeeze him into little pieces. I made Dave and my costumes from work shirts from Sears and some felt applique.
As you can tell Max isn't much of a party animal (ha ha) because he fell asleep shortly after we arrived at the party. I will say that most costumes sold in stores are too warm for our current climate. Poor Max almost got heat stroke from wearing that costume for an hour and Sophie took hers off in favor of the leggings and t-shirt she was wearing underneath.

On a side note; I noticed this year that I don't have very many Halloween decorations and I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the scary decorations that are so prevalent at stores nowadays. Part of that stems from the fact that Sophie is a bit of a scaredy cat and already has nightmares fairly often (active imagination). Plus I'm a bit of a scaredy cat. When I saw these decorations on a blog I frequent (MADE) that she found at Country Living, I just had to get my own. After a morning of cutting construction paper, I had a flock of bats that had invaded our kitchen. Sophie wasn't super excited at first but she doesn't seem to mind them so much anymore. Dave said it reminds him of Austin (TX) so I think I'm pretty happy with our decorations for this year.


2 comments:

  1. Love the costumes and Bats!!! You amaze me with your creativeness!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea for the family costumes! :-) And you already know I love those bats....I now have those same bats scattered and taped all over our downstairs. Since all of our other homey decor is gone, I didn't limit Jordan's decoration area.

    ReplyDelete