Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Max's Surgery

I've been kind of derelict in my blog posting lately. I'm always amazed at how busy it can get around here. Two kids, two dogs, and a husband, sometimes I think it's a miracle I get a shower (and sometimes I don't even worry about the shower).

About a month ago, I was changing Max's diaper and noticed a large lump in his lower abdomen. It was really big and kind of scary, so we took him to the local ER. After four hours and about four different doctors we had a diagnosis, he had a bilateral inguinal hernia. Which we found out is pretty common. Basically his abdominal wall didn't close completely before his birth and his intestines were poking out a bit. Kinda gross, I know. The surgeon didn't want to waste any time, so a week later he was admitted for surgery. It is a common and routine surgery, which didn't make it any less scary. I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling as I handed Max off to the anesthesiologist right before his surgery. I was and am so grateful for Dave's unwavering support. It was a blessing to have Dave at home during this experience. The surgery went really well and after an overnight at the hospital just to be safe we brought Max home. Other than some residual crankiness for a couple days he did great. He's such a little trooper.



We just want to thank everyone who said prayers and sent good wishes his way. Max is a happy little two month old right now. In fact, we went in for his two month well baby check up and he weighs almost fourteen pounds. He's quite the chunker.

No comments:

Post a Comment